This article provides general safety standards to adhere to when installing or connecting a vEdge 1000 router or its components.
General Safety Standards
Caution: Before removing or installing router modules and components, ensure that the router chassis is electrically connected to ground. Ensure that you attach an ESD grounding strap to an ESD point and place the other end of the strap around your bare wrist making good skin contact. Failure to use an ESD grounding strap could result in damage to the router.
Note: Some router components are hot-swappable and hot-insertable. You can remove and replace them without powering off or disconnecting power to the router. Do not, however, install the router or any of its component if they appear to be damaged.
- Install your vEdge router in compliance with the following local, national, and international electrical codes:
- United States—National Fire Protection Association (NFPA 70), United States National Electrical Code.
- Other countries—International Electromechanical Commission (IEC) 60364, Part 1 through Part 7.
- Evaluated to the TN power system.
- Canada—Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1, CSA C22.1.
- Locate the emergency power-off switch in the room in which you are working. In case of an electrical accident, quickly turn off the power.
- Disconnect power before installing or removing the router.
- If an electrical accident occurs, use caution and immediately turn off power to the router.
- Make sure that grounding surfaces are thoroughly cleaned and well-finished before grounding connections are made.
- Do not work alone if hazardous conditions exist.
- Always check that power is disconnected from a circuit. Never assume that it is disconnected.
- Carefully inspect your work area for possible hazards, such as moist floors, worn-out power cords, ungrounded power extension cords, and missing safety grounds.
- Operate the device within marked electrical ratings and product usage instructions.
- To ensure that the router and the FRUs function safely and correctly, use the specified cables and connectors, and make certain they are in good condition.